Understandable, since two years ago, newly pregnant with Elizabeth, I insisted that it was my first real Mothers Day and informed him that I expected flowers and a card and general recognition from the entire world.
He finally realized I was serious about this year. Flowers would have just made me cry in a bad way. But here's what he did do: made a lovely weekend breakfast, worked on home improvement projects with me most of the day, did the grocery shopping and dog walking so I could stay away from the general public, and cooked a fancy dinner for us while I was taking my afternoon rest. I think he might have been the reason I didn't get a series of awkward phone calls all day, either.
I didn't even know he was cooking the dinner - I wandered out into the kitchen and dining room to see what he was up to and what I should do to help, and there was the table all set and full of good food :) We sat down and he toasted "Happy some-kind-of-Sunday" and smiled at me. It was actually a happy some-kind-of-Sunday, and I felt very thankful for my good marriage, lovely home, and loyal little dog. We spent the evening cuddled on the couch watching a movie. When I said my goodnights to Roo, I thanked her for making me a mother. My sweet, sweet little daughter. I miss her so much.
| Sweetpea and her daddy. |
In other news, I'm still pregnant, still working to control the anxiety, still holding my breath in general. Tried to get a little bit of baby stuff out of the garage yesterday, just to have a going-home outfit in our hospital bag and a few clean blankets and things around. That didn't go very well. Maybe I'll try again in a few days.
Baby dragon is using my ribs for a jungle gym today. 33 weeks tomorrow!
What a great husband. Sounded like a great Sunday to me. Love how he sort of thought it was a trick-- but no really. Grief makes us all kinds of crazy. Glad you and baby Dragon are doing as well as possible. I couldn't get baby crap ready either.
ReplyDeleteAhhh, love the pic. xo
ReplyDeleteSounds like a perfect Sunday.
ReplyDelete33 weeks, crazy. As much as I dove head first into baby laundry, there are some things I couldn't bring myself to do- like set up the stroller/pack'n'play/etc. I just could.not.do.it.
Love that he did those lovely things - what a great guy you have :)
ReplyDeleteGlad things are looking good at 33 weeks and you're getting lots of kicks of reassurance. Beautiful pic of father and daughter :)
xx
Sounds like a perfect some-kind-of day..
ReplyDeleteHope the next few weeks are quick, kind, and comfortable (ish) :)
Sounds like a great day of nothing in particular except the love in your family and good food. The photo is precious. I know those big steps like getting baby stuff together can be trauma inducing. Sending a hug.
ReplyDeleteOh, your husband sound so perfectly wonderful. I've fallen in love with him a little bit just reading this! (Not that mine isn't wonderful as well - in fact, he did many of the same things yours did, both before and during Mother's Day. Still. It melts my heart to hear of Truly Good Men.)
ReplyDeleteI had to close my eyes in recognition of your difficulty gathering a few things to take to the hospital and having in the house. I wanted to reach right through and hug you. The detail that particularly got me was the going-home outfit. The very thought of a going-home outfit shuts me right down. I can't even let myself think about it until I know there's a baby to bring home - I can't cremate another outfit. That you are brave enough to consider finding one takes my breath away. No matter that maybe you couldn't do it yet. Your intention is courage enough. Hope, no matter how fragile, and a statement that says "Dammit, I'm claiming this baby even though I'm scared sh**less" is all wrapped up in even thinking about a going-home outfit.
YOU are my inspiration, today.