Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween

I'm making the best of this.  I made puppy a lion costume and am dressing myself as a lion tamer.  I even sewed fake flames on a hula-hoop.  We are going to a doggie costume party this afternoon at puppy's doggie daycare/boarding place.  (As an aside, I realize how very Southern California the phrases "doggie costume party" and "doggie daycare" are.  Stuff like this didn't exist in Lake Wobegon where I grew up.  Dogs just ran around the yard and dug holes and killed rodents.)

But it fucking sucks.  This was supposed to be Elizabeth's first Halloween.  While I was pregnant we were already talking about costumes.  Should we be the Incredibles?  The Flintstones?  Two chefs with a baby lobster in a pot? A hen, a rooster, and a chick?  The possibilities and potential for cuteness were endless.  Instead, she's dead, my husband is away on business, and I'm doing a family costume with puppy.  Thank goodness for puppy.  He loves his costume, as you can see:




To tell the truth, we did sneak in a little costuming during Elizabeth's life, like the baby polar bear snowsuit.  Not enough, not nearly enough for a lifetime, but at least it was something...

See the baby polar bear paw and ears?


3 comments:

  1. I love your little polar bear.

    And absolutely, this f'ing sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks so sweet sleeping in polar bear costume.

    I agree. It sucks. It hurts. Its completely unfair.
    We all deserve to have our babies.

    <3

    ReplyDelete