Saturday, October 8, 2011

Missing Roo

We usually called Elizabeth by one of her two nicknames - Roo or Bunny. "Roo" came from doing Kangaroo care in the NICU.  The source of "Bunny" is unknown.  These were definitely not the nicknames we had in mind when we picked the name Elizabeth, but they stuck.

Bunny, Bunny, Bunny - oh, I miss you, Bunny.  Where are you?  That's what I hear myself saying when I can't stop crying.

Good night, Roo.  We love you, Elizabeth.  We miss you.  That's what we say after we read her poem every night.

One of my favorite Elizabeth-at-home memories was overhearing my stepfather talking to her while changing her diaper (he didn't know I was listening).  He's a wonderful man who provided a stable home and raised me through my teens.  However, he's not really fond of babies or nicknames.  But he was talking away to her and calling her Bunny.  That's how lovable Elizabeth was.

Anyway, I missed Roo a lot today.  We went to the annual avocado festival.  Last year I was in the third trimester and too tired, so we skipped it.  I remember thinking we'd be taking our daughter to it the following year.  That she wouldn't be alive today never ever entered my mind. 


Kanga-Roo care time in the NICU

3 comments:

  1. First, I love seeing her pictures. Beautiful little Roo.

    But secondly, Avocado Festival sounds amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete